thanks yoav.

this begs another question... under what circumstances would one choose to
use the ajp connector? i am assuming it's probably a more compact and
efficient protocol compared to http (not sure about that).

in any case, if one never needs to access tomcat directly from a browser
(tomcat is always hidden behind apache on an internal network not
accessible from the outside) what parameters should i use to judge whether
to use http or ajp connectors?

it seems like http is better (due to the fact that you can customize
settings like maxThreads) but i was always under the impression that ajp
should be preferred over http (i guess i was wrong)....

any thoughts on this?