Howdy,

>if 1 server is very powerful, then 1 instance of tomcat would not
utilize
>the full resources available right?

Not necessarily right: depends on the application.  We have apps of
tomcat that efficiently and highly utilize many concurrent threads and
up to 2GB of RAM.

>are there any good IIS -> Tomcat 5 clustering notes anywhere? Or would
the
>built in balancer webapp be useful for single server clustering?

I'm not aware of specific IIS -> Tomcat 5 clustering documentation, but
it might be out there.

The balancer webapp is useful for single server clustering, sure.  As
long as you keep in mind that it's a traffic controller which does not
replicate sessions or data across the instances it controls.  On a
single server, the setup would be:
- Balancer webapp on tomcat installed at the main port, e.g. port 80,
that users use.  The balancer filter is probably mapped to /*.  So this
is a tiny installation with only balancer using a tiny amount of
memory/CPU.

- Other tomcat instances installed on other ports on the same physical
server.  Balancer is configured to forward requests to the appropriate
tomcat instance on the same server according to whatever business rules
make sense.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.