--- S Lafredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. I am running MacOS 9.x, MRJ 2.2.4 and downloaded
> jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1
> I clicked on the Tomcat Start and a Java console
> opens and displays
>
> 2001-02-25 12:40:09 - PoolTcpConnector: Starting
> HttpConnectionHandler
> on 8080

> So it looks like it is running correctly?
>
> I then run IE 5 (Netscape does not support MRJ?) and
> type localhost.
> Nada?

By default, standalone Tomcat listens to port 8080.
Try:  http://localhost:8080/ instead.  Alternatively,
edit the ..:tomcat:conf:server.xml file to change the
port.

Tomcat <i>should</i> be able to run fine with MacOS 9
and MRJ 2.2.4, but may occasionally encounter a glitch
with file separator.  I've spotted more than one case
in the code already where folks have improperly
assumed they can use "/" as the file separator.  So
watch out for possible problems in that area (mac OS 9
uses ':', mac OS X can use either ':' or '/').

Rule of thumb:  When building file paths, be sure to
either use either the system property
System.getProperty("file.separator") or the public
field java.io.File.separator as the separator.
Alternatively, you should just let the File object
build paths for you:

String base = "/some/path"; // arbitrary '/' here
String dname = "mydir";
String fname = "myFile.txt";
File f = new File(base);
f = new File(f,dname);
f = new File(f,fname);

The above would build "/some/path/mydir/myFile.txt" on
unix.  On a mac (assuming base=":some:path", the
result would be ":some:path:mydir:myFile.txt"

> 2. Download Darwin, Apache for Darwin and Tomcat.sit
> or Tomcat.sit.hqx?
> While waiting for MacOS X.

If you want to run Apache, you will need to use Darwin
or Mac OS X public beta while waiting for Mac Os X.
If you don't need Apache, then tomcat itself should
run fine on Mac OS 9.  MRJ 2.2.4 has many 'Java 2'
apis added on top of the offic 1.1.8 spec.

> 3. Purchase SuSE 7.0 for PPC?

Drastic, but should work great.

> 4. Something else?

If you have at least a 500MHz G3 box, running Apache
on Linux or WinNT inside Virtual PC v4 should be
actually viable unless you expect a lot of traffic
(i.e. it should be fine for development).

Cheers,

Mel