I'm having a problem with a 3rd party app running
under Tomcat 4.1.29 on a Windows 2000 server and Sun's

JDK 1.4.1.

The 3rd party app has been running just fine for
months under Tomcat 4.0.6, which they included in
their install CD with JRE 1.4.1.

I asked them if we could move the app to run under
Tomcat 4.1.29, so they provided instructions on how to
accomplish this.

I installed Tomcat 4.1.29 as a Windows service using
an install script that I've been successful with many
times before.  Tomcat 4.1.29 runs fine.  I can log in
as manager and run all the servlet and JSP examples.
(That's a key point.)  I've got JAVA_HOME,
CATALINA_HOME, and TOMCAT_HOME environment variables
set properly.  These values are identical to the ones
used in the service install script.

Now when I try to invoke the 3rd party app running
under Tomcat 4.1.29, I get this exception:

"java.lang.RuntimeException: No compiler found in your
classpath. Make sure you added 'tools.jar'"

Cocoon is looking for com.sun.tools.javac.Main and not
finding it.  But tools.jar is right there in
JAVA_HOME/lib, as it should be.

Why am I getting this exception?  Why does the 3rd
party app not see tools.jar?  Wouldn't the example
JSPs fail to compile if tools.jar were not visible?
Thanks - MOD