At guidestar we cluster our tomcat sessions through the database.  This
allows us to shutdown one of the 5 tomcat servers without the users
noticing because the other 4 servers seemlessly take on those user's
requests.  Any serious production site should be able to drop a server
without their users noticing.  Otherwise you have dead air.
--Angus