Hi,

I know this has been put forward a few times but I have not been satisfied with the
answers given and I again raise the question after having done some playing with
JProfiler yesterday.

The difference between JProfiler's heap available/heal used telemetry view and the
process memory consumption listed in the Windows Task Manager.

So far the debate has pretty much arrived at the conclusion that both the Java runtime
and Windows itself have overheads that get added into the process memory view but that
this amount is not particularly substantial.

When I start TC5.0.18 and just leave it the WTM process memory is around 37MB. The
JProfiler heap available is 10MB and the amount of this used is around 7-8MB.

I put the first few requests in to my application and make it do a lot of stuff
(searches and navigation operations). The WTM memory continues to increase up to about
65MB. Looking at JProfiler's view I see that the heap available has had to grow to
20MB BUT the garbage collectors has been kicking in quite often and has managed to get
the used amount back to around 10MB.
I understand that when the jvm heap needs to grow, then it shall do and then it keeps
a handle on that memory so it is right that the WTM view does not then start
decreasing. Fine.

At the end of the day the WTM memory is up to 140MB however the maximum heap available
in JProfiler never got over 30MB. Now, to my mind, if I had a memory leak of some kind
I would see JProfiler reporting a larger available heap. I would see JProfiler
reporting surely that the heap has had to grow to over 100MB if the WTM manages to get
so high.

Apart from memory leaks (which I cannot see evidence for since every report in
JProfiler indicates that most memory, classes, cpu time and so on is used by
org.apache related stuff) are there any other reasons?

ADC

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055