Actually, that's not quite correct. From $CATALINA_HOME/RELEASE_NOTES:

The Java compiler leaks memory each time a class is compiled. Web applications
containing hundreds of JSP files may as a result trigger out of memory errors
once a significant number of pages have been accessed. The memory can only be
freed by stopping Tomcat and then restarting it.

The JSP command line compiler (JSPC) can also be used to precompile the JSPs.

Note: This issue has been fixed in Sun JDK 1.4.x.

Seth Ladd wrote:

-- Thanks, Josh Rehman Citysearch Toolsdev, 3559