It was my impression that the Tomcat available from JPackage was built with JDK 1.3. If it was built with 1.4, it wouldn't need all those dependencies. I avoid it for that reason. Once up on a time, rpms were available from the jakarta site. I used them with at most one or two other packages to install and loved it. Upgrading was extremely easy. The stuff available from JPackage requires too many dependant packages for my taste.

--David