Still no luck.  Here's the output from the
System.getProperty("java.library.path"):

java.library.path=c:/orahome/bin;c:/orahome/jdbc/lib

Here's the code:

public class ResourceManagerListener implements ServletContextListener
  {
  private OracleConnectionCacheImpl ds = null;
  private Context ctx = null;

  public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent sce)
    {
    ServletContext application  = sce.getServletContext();

    /*
     * Get the JDBC URL, user, password and limit from the web.xml
     * context init parameters
     */
    String jdbcURL  = application.getInitParameter("jdbcURL");
    String user     = application.getInitParameter("user");
    String password = application.getInitParameter("password");
    String minLimit = application.getInitParameter("minLimit");
    String maxLimit = application.getInitParameter("maxLimit");
    try
      {
      ds = new OracleConnectionCacheImpl();
      ds.setURL(jdbcURL);
      ds.setUser(user);
      ds.setPassword(password);
      ds.setMinLimit(Integer.parseInt(minLimit));
      ds.setMaxLimit(Integer.parseInt(maxLimit));
      }
    catch (Exception e)
      {
>>>   application.log("Failed to create data source: " + e.getMessage());
<<< this is where it fails.
      }

    /*
      Initialize the database connection pool.
    */
    try
      {
      ctx = new InitialContext();
      ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/altura");
      }
    catch (Exception e)
      {
      application.log("Failed to create database connection pool: " +
e.getMessage());
      }

    application.setAttribute("appDataSource", ds);
    }

  public void contextDestroyed(ServletContextEvent sce)
    {
    ServletContext application  = sce.getServletContext();
    application.removeAttribute("appDataSource");
    // Close the connections in the DataSource
    try
      {
      ds.close();
      }
    catch (java.sql.SQLException e)
      {}

    ds = null;
    }
  }

Here are the web.xml entries:

  <context-param>
    <param-name>jdbcURL</param-name>

<param-value>(description=(address=(host=serverName)(protocol=tcp)(port=1521
))(connect_data=(sid=orcl)))</param-value>
  </context-param>

  <context-param>
    <param-name>user</param-name>
    <param-value>userName</param-value>
  </context-param>

  <context-param>
    <param-name>password</param-name>
    <param-value>password</param-value>
  </context-param>

  <context-param>
    <param-name>maxLimit</param-name>
    <param-value>50</param-value>
  </context-param>

  <context-param>
    <param-name>minLimit</param-name>
    <param-value>5</param-value>
  </context-param>

and the Tomcat application error log message:

2004-02-06 08:57:05 Failed to create data source: No suitable driver

There is a strange twist.  If I use the oci8 driver, with the
ds.setMinLimit(Integer.parseInt(minLimit)); line above, this message appears
in the Tomcat application log.  If I comment out the line, no message
appears, but when I try to get a connection, I get the
java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver message and the application fails.