Hi all;

I realize this is a 'complex' (for me at least) question, but maybe someone can give me
their opinion on it.

I am using Tomcat 5 for my webapp which allows insertion of messages (and much more).
I also need to have an independent 'engine' that will look into DB and 'handle' newly inserted
messages. This engine will, depending on the type of message, do a specific task. This
will require arround 7 new threads that I will control (hopefully). Among other things I will
need to read information from database in these new threads.

I feel like I have 3 choices:

1. Implement my engine in Tomcat JVM.
2. Implement it in a JVM outside Tomcat and communicate with the webapp only thru DB.
(so almost have 2 independent apps that use the same DB)
3. Implement it in a JVM outside Tomcat and communicate with Tomcat JVM thru RMI.

I like 1. because all would be in one place, and I would use DB connection pooling provided
by Tomcat.
I like 2. because I understand it is bad to open new threads in Tomcat.
I like 3 because I avoid having threads in Tomcat, but can get to DB thru
classes that are already in my Tomcat JVM via RMI. I do not like it because it is more complex.

So I have one question:
1. How bad (what performance hit, and other negative aspects should I expect) is it
to open new threads in Tomcat, and arround 7 of them.

and I wonder if someone can point me or suggest to me to a solution, article, discussion
or anything about this little problem that I have.

Sincerely and thankfully
Damjan