There aren't any 'subtypes' of 404, and there is no way for a request to
be 404 at one point in its life, and then "finally" a 200.

To avoid the 404 you're seeing, why not put a favicon.ico gif image in
the root of the web directory?  It can be a transparent gif. It's an
annoyance, courtesy of certain versions of IE.