Howdy,
My take on this: everything used to build every version of your
deliverable should be under source code control: that includes
dependencies such as servlet-api.jar.  So it's not OK to simply rely on
the tomcat distro servlet-api.jar.  It IS OK to copy the tomcat distro
servlet-api.jar into your source code control system.  It is also OK to
use a 3rd party repository like ibiblio for your dependencies, but some
organizations won't like that.

As for putting these libraries in your WAR: Senor Ruthenbeck was right
no target in saying you don't put container-provided libraries in the
WAR, as most containers (including tomcat) will barf.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.