Amir,

Don't know the full answer, but are you aware that tomcat will need
two, three or even four ports (depending on how you have configured
it) not just "the port" as you imply?

There will be the http port (80/www or 8080, depending on how you have
configured it),
port 443/https if you have configured that as well,
port 8007 for the AJP12 link (for stopping it, and possible server
traffic)
and port 8009 if you have loaded AJP13.

In testing the race condition I described earlier, I have found the
following command useful:

netstat -t -l

It lists the tcp ports which are listening.

Run this when tomcat should NOT be running and make sure there are no
entries for any of the ports which tomcat will want.

I suspect you may find some other process already listening on one of
the ports that tomcat needs, or a rogue copy of tomcat already alive.

Good luck!

Chris Haynes
Evesham
England