A minor additional point for those interested in porability of
webapps. What Yoav cites is guaranteed in the Servlet 2.4
specifications, which applies to Tomcat 5.  It is also true for
Tomcat 4, but due to ambiquities in the Servlet 2.3 specifications,
it isn't behavior guaranteed by the spec.  A servlet container that
calls ServletContextListeners after servlet initialization isn't
in technical voilation of the Servlet 2.3 spec.

Cheers,
Larry