The point is that the browser sees the HTTP response headers, even if it doesn't display them, and it uses them to decide which charset to use to display the page, regardless of your xml & meta declarations in the html file.

On 02/20/2004 05:57 PM Trygve Hardersen wrote:
I don't get the point of doing this. The problem is not request and
response, but the way characters are displayed.

Changed the charset to western European, charset=iso-8859-1, and now
everything works fine.
milx

-----Original Message-----
From: Antonio Fiol Bonnín [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 5:33 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: 5.0.16 and 5.0.18 international character support

What Adam said was:
Look in the response headers to see it.

I think he *really* meant the response headers, not the html code.

To do that on IE, you need a plugin called ieHTTPheaders or something like
that.

On Netscape/Mozilla, use LiveHTTPHeaders.

Otherwise, if you are not on HTTPS, you can use a network sniffer.

Antonio Fiol

Trygve Hardersen wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Project never ran on 4.x, developed on 5.x starting

from 5.0.14. Using JSTL 1.1.

5.0.14:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
charset=utf-8" />

5.0.18:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
charset=utf-8" />

That is equal. However, the characters æøå are in plain text in the page,
but IE displays them incorrectly. I can't find any difference in the source
of the pages between 5.0.14 and later, which makes me wonder if the problem
is IE oriented. Thing is though, that IE displays everything correct on
5.0.14..... Installing Netscape now, Opera does not support xhtml with
script elements. Idea?

milx