Howdy,
You don't need to declare JSPs in your web.xml even though they really
are servlets, because there's a special servlet that serves JSP pages.
That servlet is declared and mapped in the master web.xml file located
in the $CATALINA_HOME/conf directory.

Start with a web.xml file that just has an empty webapp element:

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>
</web-app>

Alternatively, you can use the basic web.xml provided in the tomcat
"First Webapp" guide:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/appdev/web.xml.txt

(In general, I suggest reading
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/appdev/ before any of