I'm using the deployer via an ant task to deploy my application. I am using deployer 5.0.18 on windows and deploying to tomcat 5.0.18 on both windows and linux. The following works fine

   <deploy url="${server.url}/manager"
           username="${deployer.username}"
           password="${deployer.password}"
           path="/${web.app}"
           war="${dist}/${web.app}.war"
           update="true" />

I also need to deploy to root. I have tried both

   <deploy url="${server.url}/manager"
           username="${deployer.username}"
           password="${deployer.password}"
           path="/"
           war="${dist}/${web.app}.war"
           update="true" />

and

   <deploy url="${server.url}/manager"
           username="${deployer.username}"
           password="${deployer.password}"
           path="/ROOT"
           war="${dist}/${web.app}.war"
           update="true" />

The first option completes successfully but I can see no evidence of my application being unpacked; browsing to '/' doesn't show my application. The second option also completes successfully and this time I see the application unpacked under webapps/ROOT; browsing to '/' doesn't help but browsing to '/ROOT/' shows that my appplication is there.

Does anybody know how to deploy to root using the deployer please? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew