Hello.
I have questions about the order in which jars are loaded into the classloader.
I have read http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html
many times over and I am still confused. The Overview relates parent and children
classloaders to each other. It then says that the Java 2 way is to put the Bootstrap
classloader first. It then states that Tomcat does it a little bit differently, the
details of which are stated below. In the Class Loader Definitions section it says
that the /WEB-INF/classes/ comes first, with /WEB-INF/lib/ second. This is all
exactly as I would like to see it.

But... I don't seem to have classes loaded in that order. The Bootstrap classloader
takes precedence over all the others. The systems group here added some of the
jakarta commons jars to the Bootstrap classloader, and now I cannot override them
with newer versions. As in, commons-beanutils-1.3.jar is in the Bootstrap loader
and I want to use commons-beanutils-1.6.1.jar. So I place beanutils-1.6.1 in my
/WEB-INF/lib/... and nothing. The Bootstrap classloader "wins" every time.

Is there something I am doing wrong? (Besides having jars in my Bootstrap loader?)
What can I do to make sure that whatever I have in my /WEB-INF/lib/ directory takes
precedence?

Thanks for the help.

Charlie