Howdy,

>I have read
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html
>many times over and I am still confused.  The Overview relates parent
>and children
>classloaders to each other.  It then says that the Java 2 way is to put
>the Bootstrap
>classloader first.  It then states that Tomcat does it a little bit
>differently, the
>details of which are stated below.  In the Class Loader Definitions
>section it says
>that the /WEB-INF/classes/ comes first, with /WEB-INF/lib/ second.
This
>is all
>exactly as I would like to see it.

Bootstrap is still first, as is required in Java 2.  Specifically, note
the following summary on the page you quoted above:
"Therefore, from the perspective of a web application, class or resource

Bootstrap classes of your JVM
System class loader classses (described above)
/WEB-INF/classes of your web application
/WEB-INF/lib/*.jar of your web application
$CATALINA_HOME/common/classes
$CATALINA_HOME/common/endorsed/*.jar
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/*.jar
$CATALINA_BASE/shared/classes
$CATALINA_BASE/shared/lib/*.jar"

>takes precedence over all the others.  The systems group here added
some
>of the
>jakarta commons jars to the Bootstrap classloader, and now I cannot

Basically, your systems group should be shot ;)  I'm just kidding of
course, I don't want to advocate violence, but they're in the wrong, not
you.  Don't pollute the JDK installation by putting stuff in the lib/ext
(the bootstrap classloader) unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, and it's very
rare that you ABSOLUTELY need the jakarta commons jars there.

>Is there something I am doing wrong?  (Besides having jars in my
>Bootstrap loader?)
>What can I do to make sure that whatever I have in my /WEB-INF/lib/
>directory takes
>precedence?

You're not doing anything wrong, your systems group is.  You can't
override the bootstrap classloader.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.