Howdy,
Please let's not start another flamewar on this topic of eternal debate,
this mailing list is voluminous enough as it is.  There are pros and
cons to each side, and many debates have taken place on this and other
list on this topic.  Suffice it to say it's a choice the developers
make.  For example see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=102434591000003&r=1&w=2.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Its
>not just Tomcat, its Sun.  How come the j2ee.jar never has a version?
Does
>that bother anyone else?
>
>This never really bothered me that much before, because I was still a
>beginner
>and which version I was using never really came into play.  But now
that I
>try to keep up on the latest versions of freely available classes the
>version
>numbers matter.  And, with the advent of Maven, it becomes slightly
>annoying
>to change my project.xml file because the jar does not have a version,
or
>rename my jars and add in a number.
>
>Recently I had issues with my classloader because there were jars in
there
>that I could not override.  What made it really difficult was finding
out
>which version was used.  But the /tomcat/common/lib/ directory does the
>same
>thing.  Not one of the jars has a version number.  Can this be changed?
>Can
>a 1.3 or 0.4 be added to the end of each of the jars so that everyone
can
>know which version their system is loading?
>
>Just my $0.02.  I am trying to get everyone at my company to make sure
>everything
>is numbered, so I thought I'd throw my opinion around at everyone else.
:)

>Big fan of the product, thanks for all the years of great work.
>

>Charlie

and notify the sender.  Thank you.