Hi,

>> The error, not explained in the Manager documentation anywhere BTW :
>>
>> FAIL - Application at context path /foobar could not be started

Errors aren't typically explained in the documentation, as we rely on
stack traces and other information to diagnose and correct problems.
Feel free to inspect the relevant code, document the possible error
messages, and submit a documentation enhancement patch.

>The answer is not obvious to me. Nothing seems to be logging anywhere
>for me to debug it.

A few general tips for cases like this:

- Add debug="99" to the Engine and Host elements of your server.xml
file.  This will output more information.

- Try to deploy the WAR by simply copying it to the webapps directory
(assuming autoDeploy is on for your Host).  Do any errors occur?  If so,
fix these before you try ant/manager deployment.

- Comment out/remove all unneeded webapps and elements from server.xml,
making your deployment as simple as possible.

- If you're still having trouble, start stripping things that execute on
startup from your web.xml: filters that do stuff on init(), servlets
that have load-on-startup enabled, listeners, etc.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.