Hi Dave,

Tomcat doesn't put anything in the registry. So I can't see why tomcat could be
the culprit here.

What platform are you on?

Try changing the listener port numbers in the tomcat server.xml file
e.g  in the following server.xml extract, change the port value to 7070 (and
perhaps do something similar
with the Ajp12ConnectionHandler Connector)

        <!-- Normal HTTP -->
        <Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
            <Parameter name="handler"
                value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"/>
            <Parameter name="port"
                value="8080"/> <!-- change to 7070 -->
        </Connector>

I wouldn't have thought though, that the ping utility would be trying to talk
over the port # that tomcat is listening on.

What does ping fail with? Have you tried the IP address as well as the gateway
name?

To uninstall tomcat, all you need to do is delete the directory tree.

-T.