We're porting part of a ServletExec-based shared-container
infrastructure to Tomcat.  One of its features is that when the JVM is
started we redirect its standard output to stdio.out, to capture GC
logging and other JVM-specific messages.  ServletExec then arranges for
the stdout and stderr of Web applications to end up in
ServletExec.log.  The separation of the two streams is important.

We'd like to do something similar in Tomcat but it's not clear how to
accomplish it.  The catalina.sh startup script redirects stdout to
catalina.out, but that file ends up capturing both JVM logging and Web
application logging.

Is there some simple way (short of modifying the source of Tomcat
itself) to achieve this separation?