I have a need to place and get, image files, to and from a directory outside
of the context and outside of Tomcat.

My plan is this:

Have an upload page to allow user to select local file on client and upload
to server. This is the same tactic as the manager is using with war files.

The folder will have rights set to allow read/write by Tomcat user.

This part, I think, will be staight forward. OK so far??

Next to retrieve the image and serve it back to the client is a little more
involved.

The plan:

Servlet to accept all request for the /context/pics/* .

Servlet reads file from directory and writes it out to the Servlet output
stream.

Am I nuts or is this a feasible plan?

Just need to know if I am going in the right direction and if anyone has any
code snippets of the servlet writes.

As for the file I/O I have that covered I think.

Any/all comments welcome.