From: Malcolm Warren [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 10:44 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: CATALINA_BASE in jwsdp

I think I have found something to do with it.

in jwsdp-shared/bin/launcher.xml there is a line as follows:
<sysproperty key="catalina.base" value="${jwsdp.home}"/>

This line is surprising to say the least! It seems to be actively ignoring
the CATALINA_BASE variable!

and in fact if I hard-code the value here with my CATALINA_BASE directory
it all starts to work.
Now does anyone know what I should put here so that it picks up the
CATALINA_BASE environment variable?
I tried the following which didn't work:

<sysproperty key="catalina.base" value="${CATALINA_BASE}"/> - doesn't work.

Lastly does anyone know why this happens in the Java web Services
Development Pack unlike the normal Tomcat distribution, which I have read
in several places does not have the same problem? There must be a reason,
which is worrying me....

Thanks.

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:55:13 +0100, Malcolm Warren
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a very recent Java Web Services installation and Tomcat 5 is
> bundled with it.
> I have a problem that I see has been met with by others using jwsdp, and
> not solved.
>
> I would like to be able to run multiple Tomcat instances.
> So I have tried to create a new directory for my web applications and I
> try to start tomcat 5 using the CATALINA_BASE environment variable.
> Unfortunately jwsdp completely ignores CATALINA_BASE. I see that others
> have only been able to solve the problem by downloading Tomcat
> separately, and the problem has gone away.
>
> Does anyone know what to do about this? I'd like to stay with Tomcat
> inside Java Web Services.
>
> The script in catalina.sh calls jwsdp. Does anyone know who maintains
> jwsdp? I've sent an email to Sun, but is there anyone at Jakarta who can
> be contacted? As far as I know jakarta has nothing to do with it, but
> you never know.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm Warren

This e-mail is the exclusive, private and confidential property of the sender. The
information contained in it is intended solely for the use of the sender and the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby advised that
any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in
reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by telephone (call the USF
Corporation Technical Support Center at 1-800-753-4563) and then destroy this
document and any copies in any form immediately.  Finally, the recipient should
check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. USF Corporation
accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.