Is there a simple way to force a standard login programmatically on
page/servlet?

I would like to conditionally force the behavior that happens
non-conditionally when a user requests a page which has a security
constraint and gets their login.

I can think of some solutions for this, like setting up some data in a
session redirecting to a page with a declared security restraint and
redirecting them back.  But it seems like I must be overlooking something
simpler.

Like maybe throw a particular exception that the container responds to like
it had a security restraint.

The container already handles these kinds of events and gets the login and
returns to the appropriate page remembering everything it needs to, so it
seems like I should be able to just trigger such an event and let the
container handle it rather than duplicating some of that functionality.

-Steve