Hi,

I want to have different certificates for different virtual hosts on my
tomcat setup (embedded in JBoss).
I only have 1 IP address.  I want to use the default ports (80 & 443)
for each virtual server.

A certificate doesn't say anything about the IP address - only the
common name (ie the FQDN).  It is perfectly possible to change the IP
address of the machine on which the cert is installed, and not have to
update the certificate.  Just let DNS update round the world.  The key
thing is to keep the private key that is paired with the public key
embedded in the cert (that's been signed by the CA) secured on the same
machine.

Tomcat: The Definitive Guide, has this to say about multiple server
certificates:
"Suppose you are an ISP with clients, several of whom want to have their
own certificate. Typically this would involve using Virtual Hosts (as
covered in Chapter 7). Simply add an SSL Factory element to the
appropriate client's Connector, giving the keystore file for that
specific client."

I don't see how virtual hosts are associated directly with certificates.
>From my reading, certificates are associated with keystore, which are
associated with connectors, which are globally shared by one engine.

In other words it seems you can have different certs for different
*ports*, and you can use any of the virtual host names with any of the
ports declared, but you can't have the appropriate cert selected based
on the host name.  This is a shame, because *that* is what has been
certified!

So, suppose I have 2 pairs of HTTP connectors each with an SSL factory:
Http 80 with SSL 443 (cert common name www.company1.com)
Http 8080 with SSL 8443 (cert common name www.company2.com)

And I have virtual hosts
www.company1.com and www.company2.com

It seems to me the certificate I will get presented would depend on the
port number entered, and not the virtual host name.  Thus there exists
potential for a name mismatch between the requested url, and the common
name in the certificate - which is a "bad thing".
https://www.company1.com works and gets the right cert
https://www.company1.com:8443 works, but gets a warning because of the
mismatched cert

Tomcat 5 SSL howto states:
"In order to implement SSL, a web server must have an associated
Certificate for each external interface (IP address) that accepts secure
connections."

Ignoring my assertions about the irrelevance of IP address above, I
don't understand how a specific IP address is associated with a specific
certificate in server.xml

Can someone put me right on this?  Or provide a example server.xml of
what I want to achieve?

Thanks
Martin