Hi Josh,

Don't start deleting stuff just yet. If you do this:

rm -rf conf/Catalina

Then your admin and manager applications will definitely not work, because the context fragments for both web applications (and the balancer app) are in conf/Catalina/localhost/.

What I *would* do in your situation is this:

1. Create a temporary directory for backing up your current configuration. I know it's probably not working, but if you back it up, and if you have the time later, you can refer to them and see where the configuration differed. (I highly recommend this approach, because you can be sure that months from now, when you mess with installing Tomcat again, you'll encounter something similar, and you'll need to remember what you did wrong previously)

2. Create another temporary directory where you can download another Tomcat tarball and expand it. Use the pristine server.xml and tomcat-users.xml inside there and manager.xml to replace your current files.

3. Then, test again and check the differences between the files.

4. If Tomcat starts up and works properly, you know that you have only changed 3 files -- so check them for differences. It's also a good idea to write down your diagnosis, because you never know when you'll need it again.

Regards.
pascal chong

Josh Rehman wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to figure out how to finagle Tomcat into a "pristine state" without having to reinstall binaries. This is because, once again, I've somehow managed to get Tomcat into a wierd state where Manager doesn't want to work, I'm getting some wierd messages in the logs, and things are just generally bad. (I've put the trace at the end of the message, although that's not the central point to this message).

So what do I need to do to get Tomcat into a pristine state, assuming I've not touched any binaries? Here's what I *think* I should do:
1 - Replace conf/server.xml with a simple one.
2 - rm -rf conf/Catalina
3 - (Optionally) Revert tomcat-users.xml to original

Am I missing anything? Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------- Here's catalina.out, for the curious:

INFO: Installing web application at context path /balancer from URL file:C:\java
\tomcat5.0.18\webapps\balancer
Mar 31, 2004 11:15:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error filterStart
Mar 31, 2004 11:15:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context startup failed due to previous errors
Mar 31, 2004 11:15:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer install

Here is my localhost log, for the curious:

2004-03-31 23:08:46 StandardContext[/balancer]Exception starting filter BalancerFilter
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/digester/Digester
at org.apache.webapp.balancer.RulesParser.createDigester(RulesParser.java:107)

at org.apache.webapp.balancer.RulesParser.<init>(RulesParser.java:85)
at org.apache.webapp.balancer.BalancerFilter.init(BalancerFilter.java:121)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:272)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:355)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:126)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.java:3646)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4275)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:866)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:850)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:638)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDeployer.java:320)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:875)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:727)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:477)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1008)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:394)

at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:166)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1133)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:832)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1125)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:518)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:519)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2345)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:598)

   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:297)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:398)

2004-03-31 23:08:46 StandardContext[/jsp-examples]ContextListener: contextInitialized()
2004-03-31 23:08:46 StandardContext[/jsp-examples]SessionListener: contextInitialized()
2004-03-31 23:08:47 StandardContext[/servlets-examples]ContextListener: contextInitialized()
2004-03-31 23:08:47 StandardContext[/servlets-examples]SessionListener: contextInitialized()

"There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it." -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
| Pascal Chong |
| email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| |
| Please visit my site at : http://cymulacrum.net |
| If you're using my documentation, please read the Terms and |
| and Conditions at http://cymulacrum.net/terms.html |