We use the setenv.sh. (tomcat 4.1xxx) for all custom environment variables
as well as java options.  catalina.sh references this script:

# Get standard environment variables
PRGDIR=`dirname "$PRG"`
CATALINA_HOME=`cd "$PRGDIR/.." ; pwd`
if [ -r "$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/setenv.sh ]; then
  . "$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/setenv.sh
fi

catalina.bat has a similar reference.

We create a setenv.sh in the bin directory and place ALL environment
variables in it, including CATALINA_OPTS.  Example contents:

export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/tomcat

# jvm command line options for tomcat
export CATALINA_OPTS=-mx128m

# db/2 env
export PATH=$PATH:/home/db2inst1/sqllib/bin
export LIBPATH=$LIBPATH:/home/db2inst1/sqllib/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/db2inst1/sqllib/lib

david

                      "Shapira, Yoav"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                      .com>                    cc:

                                               Subject:  RE: Where to set JAVA_OPTS

                      04/07/2004 09:57

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Hi,
Yup, same here.  I don't like to rely on the environment.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics