QM -

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I have Shawn Bayern's "JSTL in Action", and you're right - the URL issue is covered. I have also reviewed relevant portions of the Servlet Spec 2.4, which sets out the general approach to directory structure in applications. It seems safest to place the 'context' prefix before any URL.

Cheers.