I can certainly shorten the session timeout.

When a user connects to the application, this does not
generate a any activity in Tomcat.  When the user
accesses a program, then the user is using a
connection.  This connection is part of a connection
pool.  What I find odd is that the connection used is
not the oldest idle session, but a new connection is
created (if the max has not been reached).  On top of
this, the minimum idle sessions do not get used unless
the max has been reached and all of the sessions above
min are busy,

Is this the way Tomcat functions or just the way the
application is accessing Tomcat?