set the unpackWARs="true" attribute in the host tag of your server.xml file
and see if that helps

Matt
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kam Lung Leung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 12:42 PM
Subject: Can Not Get Tomcat 4.1.27 To Unpack Web Component When There Is A
Context Defined For The Web Component

> Hi,
>
> I installed Tomcat 4.1.27 on our linux Redhat 7.2 box. Tomcat did unpack
all web
> components when there is NO context definition defined for each of these
web
> components in the server.xml file. However, when I create a context for
each of
> these web components, then Tomcat did not unpack these web components.
> Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
>

> Here is the context definition for one of my web component:
>   <Context path="/TestDistributedInputOutput"
>            docBase="TestDistributedInputOutput" debug="0"
>            reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
>
>           <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>                   prefix="TestDistributedInputOutput" suffix=".log"
>                   timestamp="true"/>
>
>           <Resources
className="org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext"
>                      allowLinking="true"  />
>
>   </Context>
>
> Here is a listing of my steps to startup Tomcat:
> 1) Stop Tomcat
> 2) Remote the directory created by Tomcat for
TestDistributedInputOutput.war
> 3) Add the above context definition in the server.xml for
>     TestDistributedInputOutput.war.
> 4) Startup Tomcat
>
> Here is the message from Tomcat.
>
> 2004-04-13 14:20:26 StandardContext[/TestDistributedInputOutput]:
Resources
> start failed:
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
> /usr/local/catalina/webapps/TestDistributedInputOutput does not exist or
is not
> a readable directory
>         at

org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.setDocBase(FileDirContext.java:19
3)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart(StandardContext.java
:3343)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3473)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347)

)
>         at

.java:25)