Thanks for the replies.

I've tried some of the suggestions, and I guess I've hit a wall again.

>From what I'm seeing, in order extend RealmBase/GenericPrincipal, your class
MUST exist in server/lib (given the default configuration). I see no other
way, unless I'm missing something. RealmBase is in catalina.jar, which is in
server/lib and is in the catalina classloader. In order for a class to
extend this, it too must be in the catalina classloader.

I tried this modification to catalina.properties:

common.loader=${catalina.base}/common/classes,${catalina.base}/common/endors
ed/*.jar,
${catalina.base}/common/lib/*.jar,${catalina.base}/server/classes,${catalina
.base}/server/lib/*.jar

(note my extension classes are in bbarealm.jar, which is in server/lib)

Withouth making any more changes (other than moving tomcat's jar's back to
their original locations), this worked. This seems exactly like moving all
the files from server/lib (including my bbarealm.jar) to common/lib, though.

Then I tried this: I moved my bbarealm.jar to shared/lib (making it visible
to the apps), changed the common loader back to it's original form, and
added
${catalina.home}/shared/lib/bbarealm.jar to the sever.loader line. This
results in a NCDF for org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase

*pulls hair* I'm not sure how catalina.policies is going to help me. This
isn't an priviledges issue. It's a classloader issue. The only classloader
that seems to allow me to extend RealmBase/GenericPrincipal is the catalina
classloader, and can't see a way to add a class to this classloader (other
than sticking it in server/lib, which makes it invisible to my apps!). There
is no 'catalina.loader' line in catalina.properties.

*sigh* Any thoughts?