Yoav,

Let me describe a bit about our application, just in case you
(or anyone else) have some specific advice.

My client is a publisher, and the bulk of the site will be many
thousands of published articles and associated content such
as figure, tables, etc.

The HTML content, however, will be served by tomcat, since
it has some dynamic components.

This is why it's not practical to bundle everything into a war file.
Instead, I need tomcat to point to the file system where many
users will be building the site.

On the other hand, the war file can easily contain the java infrastructure
(struts, velocity, configuration information, etc.). I'd like to be able
to keep the small war file, hot deploy, etc., but have the raw content
(static and otherwise) live elsewhere.

Given that, would you solve it with multiple contexts? Or do you
have another suggestion?

Thanks again,

Fred

At 10:08 AM 5/11/2004, you wrote:

Hi,

>Is there a way, within a single context, to separate out
>the static content to some other file system location.

Of course, there are many ways, none of them advised.  You want to keep
your webapp as a whole, that's the whole point of a WAR file.  You can
symlink (at the filesystem level) or use normal HTTP linking to access
your static content.  But you can't symlink in a WAR, so...

>I believe that Yoav's suggestion is that I set up the empty
>path ("") context for this purpose. However, this is where
>I started, and Justin argued against this "cross-context"
>approach.

And I agree with Justin, just to be clear.  I wasn't advocating anything
different from what he said, just showing you that it can technically be
done.  If crossContext forwards are the worst design choices on this
list, we'll be in great shape.

Yoav Shapira

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.