I'd like to hear people's opinions on the best way to have Tomcat accessible via standard ports (80 and 443).

As I understand it, under Linux (and other unixes), ports < 1000 must be run as root. I've also read that there are some difficulties running Tomcat as root. I gather that the alternative is to run Tomcat via a connector from Apache.

I have no particular need to run Apache - nearly everything on the site I'm putting together requires Tomcat. Is running Tomcat as a root process really impossible and/or problematic (under Linux)? Are there any other downsides to running Tomcat as a standalone server?

Thanks

bw