Hi All !

I wonder if anyone has seen this anomaly, when following my instructions on setting up a JNDIRealm, on my website (http://cymulacrum.net/writings/adv_tomcat/c487.html). I wrote these instructions after version 5.0.19 of Tomcat came out and fixed the character encoding issue in the JNDIRealm.

In my document I described how to :
1. Setup OpenLDAP so it runs with SSL/TLS enabled
2. Setup Tomcat's JNDIRealm so that it communicates with ldap://localhost:636, the secure port instead of 389.

I never noticed anything strange, because my JNDIRealm setup seemed to work fine, but when I tried to put SecurityFilter on, I found an error. Thinking that it was probably SecurityFilter, I looked at the logfiles, and I was surprised to find that, even before I had installed SecurityFilter, there was that same error being logged inside catalina.out. I just never bothered to look before because everything seemed to be running fine.

Here's what the error looks like. It only occurs on startup, all LDAP operations work fine with no errors:

JNDIRealm[Catalina]: Connecting to URL ldap://localhost:636
JNDIRealm[Catalina]: Exception performing authentication
javax.naming.CommunicationException: Request: 1 cancelled
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapRequest.getReplyBer(LdapRequest.java:76)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.Connection.readReply(Connection.java:433)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.ldapBind(LdapClient.java:356)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapClient.authenticate(LdapClient.java:187)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.connect(LdapCtx.java:2615)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.<init>(LdapCtx.java:293)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURL(LdapCtxFactory.java:190)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getUsingURLs(LdapCtxFactory.java:208)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getLdapCtxInstance(LdapCtxFactory.java:153)
at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory.getInitialContext(LdapCtxFactory.java:83)
at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:674)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:256)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(InitialContext.java:232)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.<init>(InitialContext.java:208)
<rest of errors snipped>

I'm not really sure where to begin, or even if it is significant (since LDAP authentication still works). If you want to repeat this error for yourself, you can follow the instructions on my web page. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Regards,
pascal chong