Thank you Doug.
That link was just what I needed.

In summary:
As long as you don't actively opt not to install the public JRE while you are
installing the j2sdk, Tomcat will run fine.

If I get a chance, I will try running 5.0.24 on a machine with the JRE not
installed. If it still needs the public JRE, I'll make an attempt to get the
issue added to the release notes.

Again, Thanks.
-Ben

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 09:07 am, Parsons Technical Services wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Not running TC on windows myself, but noted that a lot of talk about the
> registry settings have been made on the list in the past I thought that
> this line was noteworthy:
>
> "The private J2RE is required to run the tools included with the Java 2
> SDK. It has no registry settings and is contained entirely in a jre
> directory.... "
>
> Thus if you are relying on the registry entries for the JVM(at least for
> older TC versions) you are SOL. When you download the SDK it includes the
> Public JRE and thus does not require an additional download.
>
> The above quote is from:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-windows.html#private
>
> $.02
>
> Doug

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

This e-mail message, and any accompanying documents, is for the sole use of
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or
copying is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact our office by email or by telephone at (508) 747-7261 and
immediately destroy all copies of the original message.