Bill,

I have been trying to trace down a problem with an application I am building
on top of Tomcat 4.1. The problem I was encountering was that my HTTP
response headers were being returned to the client using UTF-8 encoding.

My understanding of RFC 2068 is that all request and response headers should
be encoded as ISO-8859-1. The only mechanism for supporting other encodings
is by use of RFC 2047.

The issue becomes more curious when I notice that tomcat uses ISO-8859-1 to
encode response headers if the request is routed through the internal HTTP
1.1 implementation. However, if the request uses the Coyote JK
implementation, then the header strings are encoded as UTF-8. This is being
done explicitly in org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler line 281.

Is there any explanation why the Jk code is writing out the headers in
UTF-8?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric Jacobson