You should be able to use a custom pattern in 4.0 (or better).

But pattern="combined %v" is incorrect. You need to explictily specify all the fields. (As in the javadocs or Vavle docs which talks about accesslogvalve)

-Tim

Marc X. Schroeder wrote:

Hi,

I need to be able to customize my access_log file which is defined in server.xml.
Were using tomcat 4.0.

I have been using <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
directory="c:\logs\tomcat" prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
pattern="combined"/>

But I also need to be able to track the %v option as well.  When I do this
directory="c:\logs\tomcat"  prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
pattern="combined %v"/>

I get this logged
combined dev.csatravelprotection.com
-or with other configurations -
"???{???Referer}i" dev.csatravelprotection.com

I need to be able to log all of the combined properties and the Local server name to the same log entry. I have tried many combinations with no success. I have also poured over documentation for days before sending this email. Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Also is this the correct email to post questions?