Hello Illya,

Thank you for your reply.  I need the JSPs precompiled
for performance and security reasons.  Performanace
because we don't want the end user to have a bad
"first impression" when attempting to access our
application the first time and having to wait for each
page to compile first.  Security because we don't want
to ship out or source jsp files, we'd rather just ship
out class files.

I believe the
${tomcat}/work/Catalina/localhost/${context name}
directory is where Tomcat places the class files when
it compiles them on the first access to a non-compiled
jsp.  Is this correct?  We have compiled jsps in the
past and run them by placing them in the
WEB-INF/classes directory but the current app has many
subdirectories which is where I think we're getting
hung up.  My guess is that I need to compile my jsps
to .java files in such a way as to have their
directory structure included in their "package"
statement.  Then do the compile from .java to .class
files.  Is having the subdirectories in the "package"
statement the crucial step I need to solve this?

Jason

"http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/printer/jasper-howto.html#Web%20Application%20Compilation";