Extract from the HTTP spec:

"The Referer field MUST NOT be sent if the Request-URI
was obtained from a source that does not have
its own URI, such as input from the user keyboard."

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.txt

So unless someone links to your index page you'll probably never get a referer.

Jon

RJ wrote:
Hello all:

After my wonderful experience getting standalone tomcat
with SSL running non-root today, there's only one hitch:
I'm using the combined log format, and it seems to be OK,
except that on the first hit on my site (to the static
index.html page) the referer field is always "-".

Subsequent hits from pages within the site show the correct
referer, but my main interest is that initial one.

Anybody have any thoughts on how I can get that to show?

rj