Ronald Klop wrote:

Is it possible that this does not work?
The docs (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/ajp.html) say that the default is 2MB, but I can download much larger files.
Is this a bug or a feature?

Don't know, I never used it. Additionally, I have no ajp.html file in my Tomcat-5.0.16 distribution, that's strange, 'cause online site has it. Try to set maxPostSize to 2Mb explicitlyto see if it will work.
It was a long time ago when I read one article on PHP file upload where it was said that you can't determine a size of uploading data before it at least reaches defined limit, furthermore an error only arised when upload is finished regardless of its actual size (will it be 100Mb or even 100Gb). But I may be wrong.