Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, but the problem did not go away.
Apparantly it moved to the commons-logging package now. Would it help to
compile that on my VM as well?

Is the problem likely to be caused by Tomcat's StandardClassLoader or by the
java.net.URLClassLoader?

Best regards,
Michel de Groot

New stacktrace:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.util.NoSuchElementException
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:54)
        at
java.util.AbstractList$SimpleListIterator.next(AbstractList.java:37)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.explore(URLClassLoader.java)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findResourceImpl(URLClassLoader.java:715)
        at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:167
)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findResource(URLClassLoader.java:605)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.findResource(StandardC
lassLoader.java:537)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.getResourceAsStream(St
andardClassLoader.java:683)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.getResourceAsStream(St
andardClassLoader.java:671)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory$3.run(LogFactory.java:627)
        at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:147
)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getResourceAsStream(LogFactory.
java:623)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getFactory(LogFactory.java:281)

        at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:395)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.<clinit>(StandardService.jav
a:53)
        at java.lang.Class.initializeImpl(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.initialize(Class.java)
        at java.lang.Class.initialize(Class.java)
        at java.lang.Class.initialize(Class.java)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstanceImpl(Native Method)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:229)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:423)