The config.getInitParameter() called from within a JSP page is returning null. After changing the web.xml file numerous times and trying all the suggestions from java.sun.com and the tomcat archives I still cannot resolve this problem.
Does anyone know why we can't access the init parameters?
thanks in advance

Here is what my web.xml file looks like (does not work):

<web-app>
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>
           Error
        </servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
            org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet
        </servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>debug</param-name>
            <param-value>true</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </servlet>
</web-app>

and my JSP code:
<%
String s = config.getInitParameter("debug");
if (s == null) {
out.println("Init param must be null!");
}
else{
out.println("Init param is "+s);
}