Type 3 drivers are better than type 1. (But that depends on the implementation) The JDBC-ODBC driver was *never* meant for production usage.

I know little about IIS - but I would hope there is a button that can be clicked, or a tab in some property screen that would let you do the equivalent of sending all traffic to a single page.

-Tim

Stephen Charles Huey wrote:

If we currently have Tomcat 4 running on Win 2000, would there be
significant overhead to run Apache as well just so that we can put up an
error page when Tomcat has to be restarted?

Some of you mentioned I should try using a type 4 driver, and I Googled
around to brush up on different types, and I realize we probably use a
type 1 driver since it's a JDBC to ODBC bridge.  The database we're
using is Raining Data's D3 database (a multivalue db), and I searched
around and only found a couple of JDBC drivers that look like they might
work, but they're type 3 drivers, and I'm wondering what (if any)
additional layer I need to make a type 3 driver talk to the D3 database,
or if I can simply drop it into my J2EE/Tomcat.  These are the drivers I
found:

FusionWare, halfway down the page:
http://www.sqlsummit.com/JDBCVend.htm

Liberty JDBC:
http://www.multivalue.com/LibJDBC.html

----- Original message ----- From: "David Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:10:11 -0400 Subject: Re: how to show "System Unavailable" page when Tomcat is down

To directly answer your question, essentially something has to be listening on port 80 even when Tomcat is down. The only way I know of to do that is to put up some kind of proxy server with a error page. I know Apache can be used that way, Squid looks like it could as well.

On the other hand, you could also replace your ODBC driver with a genuine type 4 driver and make your site much more reliable. I think someone else already suggested that and I whole-heartedly agree.

--David

Stephen Huey wrote:

Though I'm capable of adding to the JSPs and servlets on an existing
site, I'm no web server guru, so I'm having a hard time with this
problem. Our database vendor's ODBC driver has issues, so occasionally
we have to restart Tomcat (and maybe the driver) to get the website
running again, and since this is used by thousands of people every day,
they can get pretty annoyed when all they see in their browser is "Page
cannot be displayed" (and this can go on for anywhere from 5-15
minutes). We need a way to show some redirect requests for the website to some
static HTML page when Tomcat is down. Since Tomcat is running our
website, I'm really not sure of how to provide a solution for that (we
don't have multiple application servers--just one web server and one
database server). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Stephen