Hola,

>I know - but Sun's VMs surely seems to follow your suggestions!

They might, and they might not, that's the point.  Other VM
implementations can choose to ignore System.gc(), or even Sun
implementations on certain platforms (many J2ME installations ignore
these calls).

>Well, 1.5beta2 (that's rather recent, ai?) GC's like hell when I invoke
>the method - it even seems to do it synchronous, as it (currentThread)
>hangs while it does it..

That depends on your platform and settings.

>I have to debug this now, it will be interesting to see if it is Tomcat
>code or my code that have the bug..! ;)

It is expected that every reload will increase total memory usage,
monotonically, it's not a bug, and there are numerous discussions about
this and related issues in the arhicves.

>Btw: you can turn on "verbose gc" on the JVM, this is cool:
>
>-verbose:gc
>    Report on each garbage collection event.
>
>And then, Yoav, you can se that your objects are killed -when you
invoke
>gc()-! ;)

Again, only under some (certainly the most common) settings.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.