ahh gotta love benchmarks. the only valid benchmark is your own application, which
you've tuned.

all other cases are seriously error proned or not applicable to real applications.

peter

Eric VERGNAUD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
le 16/06/04 21:50, Matt Bathje à [EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :

> I posted this on the struts list this morning, but it might get better
> answers here.
>
> I was reading the stories here:
>
> http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=45250
> http://www.kano.net/javabench/

> mode is much more iffy, sometimes faster, sometimes slower, and sometimes
> the same.
>

> So my question becomes - does anybody have any experience running their
> Tomcat jvm using the -server option instead of letting it default to client?
>
> Based on what the tester says, the only downside of running the jvm in
> server mode is a longer startup time, but the Java code still beat C++ even
> with the longer times, so it can't be too bad.
>
> So anybody have any experience/thoughts on this?
>

> Thanks,
> Matt Bathje

Matt,

No one can really believe Java is faster than C or C++, because Java is
itself written in C and C++.

I haven't been through the benchmark code throroughly, but there's
definitely a bias somewhere.

Eric VERGNAUD - JLynx Software
Cutting-edge technologies and
services for software companies