I think that's the way to go.

But I don't see why the ServletResponseWrapper should
be complicated.

There are so many articles and open source filter
implementations, that can give you a starting point
for it:

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/05/10/servlet_filters.html
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/11/19/filters.html
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/03/03/filters.html