Thanks for your help, unfortunately in this case the manager app isn't there and the default 404 page which I know shows the version number isn't returned because the running application interecepts and shows its own page.

Mike Fowler wrote:

Andrew Watters wrote:

I have full access to the tomcat directory but I can't find the version number in any of the files. It's probably somewhere obvious but I just can't see it.

Please help...

Start Tomcat and go to the manager status web app. In the server information table with there is a Tomcat version column.

On my box:
http://localhost:8080/manager/status