Oh, no....SYNTAX ERROR..sorry

WRONG:
0 1 * * * /path/to/script/rotate_log >> /path/to/script/rotate_log 2>&1

I forgot to name the log file (otherwise you overwrite your rotate_log
script, and it will only work once):
RIGHT:
0 1 * * * /path/to/script/rotate_log >> /path/to/script/logfile 2>&1

Anyway...a good example of how you not should name your files..

\trond

Hi, maybe you would try the following:

Create a bash-script (or on windows a .bat, with modifications)

create a file called e.g. /path/to/script/rotate_log

#!/bin/sh

file_to_zip=`date +'%m%d'

cp /your_path_to/catalina.out /your_rot_dir/$file_to_zip

echo -n "" > catalina.out

cd /your_rot_dir

gzip $file_to_zip

cd /your_path_to

$ crontab -e (as a user with reading permission for catalina.log and add the
following line to rotate the log 1 am every day)

0 1 * * * /path/to/script/rotate_log >> /path/to/script/rotate_log 2>&1

If you are very unlucky, you might loose log entrys between the cp statement
and the echo statement.

At least this doesn't change the i-node of the catalina.out file, hence the
logging should continue.

I have not tried this myself, and there is NO WARRENTY that it is working.

I SUGGEST you await some comments from other users here before you trie it
out.

Be aware of possible misspellings of file names. It is ment to give you an
idea of how to rotate the logs.

\trond